Dr. Lori Shemek is BACK AGAIN to discuss the top 10 health benefits of drinking enough water.
Drinking water is key to living a healthier, happier and leaner life. Getting enough water each day has enormous health benefits that affect every area of our health and mental well-being. Adequate hydration is essential for your body to function at all, let alone optimally.
Just a few facts on drinking water:
- We are almost 70% water, our blood is 90% water and a startling 90% of brain weight is water.
- Water is essential for kidney function and other bodily functions.
- Water is required for every single process in the human body.
Unfortunately, many people are not drinking enough water and are chronically mildly dehydrated. It is crucial that we do drink enough water each day.
Here are 10 Top Health Benefits of Adequate Water Intake
1. Decreases joint pain. Cartilage in and around joints is 80% water and when we are mildly dehydrated, it becomes brittle, thereby causing pain. Drinking water can help to alleviate this.
2. Water aids digestion. Water helps to prevent constipation and other gastrointestinal issues such as IBS. Water helps to move the digestive process properly through the system.
3. Promotes focus. Mild dehydration produces ‘foggy thinking’ that can get in the way of everyday life and success.
4. The more alkaline your body, a pH between 6.5 and 7.5 (on a scale of 1-14 pH) via alkaline water, fruits or vegetables, puts us in a health state where bacteria and viruses find it challenging to survive. A high acidic body via sugar and processed foods can leave one vulnerable to illness.
5. Drink alkaline ionized water that will help optimize health. The right water is just as important as drinking it, as it will help to optimize health and promote a leaner, healthier body.
6. Water helps deliver oxygen to every part of the body via our blood.
7. Helps to promote weight loss by boosting metabolism and tamping down on our appetite.
8. Water Detoxifies. It is vital to the kidneys, which help to remove toxins and waste products. Inadequate hydration means inadequate kidney function.
9. Adequate water intake helps regulate blood pressure.
10. Water is excellent for optimizing skin health. Water is one of the best safeguards against aging and wrinkled skin.
The guideline recommended of drinking water is a minimum of half your body weight, in ounces, daily. For example, if you weigh 120 lbs., you would drink 60 ounces of water per day, though this varies from person to person. Those who exercise regularly, work outside, or have chronic medical conditions should consume more water to compensate for more water loss.
Recommended Reading | Dr. Lori’s Vault