Learn what calcium and alkaline water can do to your body as you read below.
In this article:
- An Introduction to Calcium
- What is Calcium?
- Calcium Benefits
- What Is Hypocalcemia?
- Symptoms of Hypocalcemia
- What Is Alkaline Water?
- Benefits of Alkaline Water
- Health Benefits of Calcium in Alkaline Water
- Calcium Requirements and Threats of Too Little Calcium
- Water Ionizers: Calcium, Antioxidants and More!
What You Should Know About Calcium and Its Benefits
An Introduction to Calcium
Elemental calcium is an important mineral for human health and must be obtained through the foods we eat and the beverages we drink since our body doesn’t make calcium on its own. Dairy products and leafy greens are some of the common examples of calcium-rich foods, and alkaline water also has this mineral.
What is Calcium?
Calcium (Ca) is a chemical element that falls into the category of alkaline earth metal. There are several applications of calcium in everyday life that take advantage of Ca’s alkalinity. For instance, antacids like Tums tablets are primarily made of calcium that neutralizes stomach acid to relieve discomfort. As an alkaline metal, it should come as no surprise that calcium is found in alkaline water.
- Boosts Bone Health
Calcium is a powerful mineral that helps strengthen bones. The mineral keeps the bones in their proper shape, alleviates back pain, and strengthens the backbone. A good supply of calcium can also help prevent osteoporosis and arthritis, which could hinder your movements and cause pain.
- Supports Weight Loss
Enough calcium content in your body can prevent weight gain. It prevents the release of parathyroid hormone, a hormone that stimulates fat production and prevents it from breaking down.
- Normalizes Heart Muscle Function
Sufficient amount of calcium in the body helps cardiac muscles relax and contract properly. Calcium aids the nervous system in keeping a proper pressure in the arteries. If there’s a drop in the supply of this mineral, your body releases calcitriol hormone that contracts your smooth cardiac muscles, leading to an increase in your blood pressure.
- Reduces the Risk of Colon Cancer
Adequate amounts of calcium reduce the risk of colon cancer as it suppresses the development of polyps, which can lead to cancer. Calcium supplementation lessens the risk of non-malignant tumors and adenomas of the colon as the excess amount of calcium combines to the cancer promoters, allowing your body to excrete them together. Food sources and supplementation can provide this protective benefit.
- Lessens Symptoms of Premenstrual Depression
Premenstrual depression is a more severe type of emotional disorder, and an insufficient amount of calcium in your body can trigger the release of the hormones responsible. Proper calcium levels can reduce the symptoms of premenstrual depression such as the following:
- mood swings
- feeling of hopelessness
- intense anger
- decreased interest in usual activities
- difficulty concentrating
- appetite change
- feeling out of control
- sleep problems
- bloating and cramps
- joint and muscle pain
- Prevents Kidney Stones
Kidney stones are crystallized deposits of minerals in your urinary tract. A study showed that high levels of calcium can considerably decrease the risk of this condition.
- Controls Alkaline pH Levels
Preserved foods, excess sugars, and junk foods significantly contribute to the acidity formation in your body, which can lead to health conditions like hypertension, kidney stones, and cancer. Calcium consumption can neutralize acidic compounds in your body before any damage takes place, maintaining a healthy pH level.
- Regulates Blood Pressure
Combined with high amounts of fiber, potassium, and magnesium, calcium can help regulate blood pressure as a study tested that the effects of every nutrient instead of the food sources suggested. The result revealed a decrease in blood pressure levels.
- Strengthens Your Teeth
Calcium from food is also a potent nutrient that strengthens your teeth as it keeps your jaw bone sturdy and strong throughout your entire life. This benefit ensures there is a tight fitting of your teeth to not allowing bacteria to thrive. It’s best to take the mineral at high amounts during childhood, so you’ll grow with strong teeth.
- Aids in Transporting Nutrients in the Body
The mineral significantly affects how the body uses and absorbs nutrients as it primarily carries a tiny electrical charge that conducts electricity in your body. This electrical activity specifically carries nutrients easily to your cell membranes.
What Is Hypocalcemia?
Aside from getting bone problems and other health issues when you are calcium deficient, you may also experience hypocalcemia, a calcium deficiency disease. This condition is indicated by low levels of calcium and an electrolyte imbalance. This usually occurs as you age with factors that include the following:
- hormonal changes, especially in women
- intolerance to calcium-rich foods
- medications that may decrease calcium absorption
- poor calcium intake over a long period
Symptoms of Hypocalcemia
You won’t feel the symptoms of hypocalcemia at an early stage, but they develop as the disease progresses. Here are some of the symptoms of hypocalcemia:
- easy fracturing of the bones
- weak and brittle nails
- muscle cramps
- tingling and numbness in the face, feet, and hands
- muscle spasms
- memory loss
What Is Alkaline Water?
“Alkaline” in alkaline water is the pH level of the liquid where it indicates the measurement of how acidic or alkaline a substance is. This water has a higher pH level than regular tap water, which makes it a neutralizer of acid in your body.
Alkaline water commonly has a pH level of 8 or 9. It contains alkaline minerals like iron, manganese, potassium, magnesium, and calcium, and has a negative oxidation reduction potential (ORP), which is the ability to allow water to be an antioxidant. The more negative ORP there is, the more antioxidizing the water is.
Benefits of Alkaline Water
Although the benefits of alkaline water still need further scientific studies, proponents of the water suggest the following advantages:
- Alkaline water has ultra-hydrating properties that are most beneficial to physically active people and those who are dehydrated. Its molecules are a lot smaller than the regular water, which makes it easier for your cells to absorb for a quicker hydration effect.
- It also helps boost your immune system as it provides a neutralizing effect on free radicals, cleansing your body. An improved immune system means you won’t easily get sick.
- Alkaline water also has various minerals such as iron for your blood cell function, manganese for inflammation reduction, potassium for blood pressure support and improved bone health, magnesium for heart health, and calcium for bone strength.
- The water also has powerful antioxidants that prevent the development of cell-damaging free radicals, which speed up the process of aging.
- It also neutralizes acidity in your body by reducing the acid levels in the gastrointestinal tract and the stomach.
- It has the potential healing effects for psoriasis as it aids in neutralizing the skin’s pH level. You can directly apply the water to the affected areas and drink alkaline water every day to help you get rid of the signs faster.
- Alkaline water can create a powerful antioxidant when combined with vitamin C. Calcium ascorbate, the antioxidant created, has some great health benefits:
- assists in replacing calcium and is gentle in the stomach
- may slow down the aging process
- may lower blood pressure levels
- aids in fighting bacteria and viruses
- effective against colds
Health Benefits of Calcium in Alkaline Water
The importance of calcium to bone health is widely documented and reported. In fact, 99% of the calcium in the body is found in the bones and teeth. The remaining 1% is used for muscle contraction, heart beat, and nerve function maintenance. Additionally, according to the Mayo Clinic article Calcium and calcium supplements: Achieving the right balance,
“Some studies suggest that calcium, along with vitamin D, may have benefits beyond bone health: perhaps protecting against cancer, diabetes and high blood pressure.”
Calcium Requirements and Threats of Too Little Calcium
Without adequate calcium in the diet, people are prone to weak bones (osteoporosis) and dental problems (cavities), and children will see stunted physical development. The recommended daily allowance of calcium is between 1,000 and 2,000 mg or the equivalent of 5-6 glasses of milk a day.
Common food sources of calcium include:
- milk, cheese, and yogurt
- spinach, kale, broccoli, and other leafy vegetables
- nuts and seeds
- bread and other foods made with fortified flour
- fish, where you can eat the bones like sardines and pilchards
- fortified juices, cereals, and soy products
- Tyent alkaline water
Water Ionizers: Calcium, Antioxidants and More!
Never worry about getting your daily dose of calcium again with a Tyent water ionizer. Tyent alkaline water ionizers are a wonderful source of healthy calcium and antioxidants. For heart health, strong bones, and a bright future, drink Tyent alkaline water.
Learn the benefits of drinking alkaline water in this video from Svetlana Ciobanu:
Calcium plays an important role in the body and consuming it leads to many health benefits. Now that you have a better understanding of what this mineral can do for your body, it’s important to consider increasing your intake of calcium. Get your own water ionizer now and begin reaping the benefits.
Check out our Tyent Alkaline Water Ionizer Buyer’s Guide.
What other health benefits of calcium and alkaline water have you experienced? Share them in the comments section!
Up Next: 7 Fast Facts About Hydrogen Water!
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published on June 11, 2016, and has been updated for quality and relevancy.