Having to lose water from your body all day, every day is a fact of life. Even while you’re sleeping, you’re losing water. The weather, the temperature, your environment and activity levels, among other factors, affect how quickly you lose water. In order to stay healthy and thrive, you have to replace it.
Most of us need around 8 eight-ounce glasses of water every day, which equates to about 2 liters.
But why? What exactly is all of that water doing for us? We take a look at hydration from the scientist’s point of view!
1. During sports or intense exercise, your performance is intrinsically linked with your hydration levels. Even mild dehydration can have a perceptible negative effect on your athletic prowess and can make you feel more tired because of an increase in your body’s temperature and heart rate.
2. Although research in this area is somewhat nascent, it seems that being hydrated can help to reduce the chance of kidney stones reoccurring and might help to prevent them from forming in the first place. Drinking more water can break down deposits that these stones are made of and can ensure that they move smoothly through your body’s system.
3. …and sticking with the kidneys for a moment, drinking water can also help your kidney to function healthily overall. Good kidneys mean a healthy, balanced body and a happy you!
4. Speaking of happiness, can drinking water make you feel happier? According to research – yes! Scientists have found that dehydration can negatively affect both mood and cognitive functioning. Your brain relies largely on water to function properly, so being dehydrated can disrupt serotonin production and cause stress, among other issues.
5. Scientists believe that joint health can be improved by drinking water. As cartilage comprises up to 80% water, it makes sense. This comprehensive scientific study helps to explore why hydration and joint health are so closely linked. In general, staying hydrated can reduce inflammation and keep your joints lubricated and strong.
6. Out with gout? Research suggests that drinking plenty of water can be beneficial to gout patients thanks to its positive effect on joint health and its ability to flush out excess uric acid from the body. Drinking water is even a recommended step in managing gout attacks.
7. Increasing your water intake helps you to shed extra pounds, according to research. Most people who have tried to lose weight know from experience that drinking a glass of water before meals can help to ‘take the edge off’ your appetite, so maybe this one isn’t such a big surprise!
8. Research into how headaches might be reduced or prevented by drinking water makes interesting reading. The speculation about how water intake affects migraine is also compelling! Of course, hydration is your number one solution for dehydration headaches and migraines.
9. Here’s an important reminder to remember as the mercury soars in summer: drinking water is vital for regulating your body’s temperature. This is why staying hydrated in the heat and avoiding water-draining drinks like coffee and alcohol will protect you from the symptoms of dehydration and keep your body in tip-top shape.
10. Hangovers are no fun for anyone, ever. To prevent this from happening or mitigate its effects, we all know that we should drink water before, during and after consuming alcohol, but why? The science behind why drinking water is key to feeling a whole lot better the morning after is fascinating stuff!
11. Water, hydration and health. We know that these three things are fundamentally linked, and this comprehensive look at their relationship is worth a read. The final line of the conclusion is particularly concise:
“Water is essential to our survival and to our civilizations’ and we hope this critical role will sharpen our focus on water in human health.”
We couldn’t have put it better ourselves. And the best water to drink? Ionized alkaline water straight from a water ionizer.
Water Ionizers – the Best Water, Every Day
Getting a Tyent ionizer means you’ll have fresh ionized alkaline water for every hour of every day. Call our friendly team now at 855-TYENT-US (855-893-6887) to find out more!
Want to learn about the science behind water ionizers and what features make a top-quality machine? Then download your FREE COPY of our Water Ionizer Cheat Sheet today!