Water temperature plays a huge role in making your hair look and feel amazing. We tell you how here.
RELATED: Fight Frizzy Hair With Your Tyent Water Ionizer
In this article:
- What Does Water Do for Your Hair?
- What Is the Ideal Water Temperature for Washing Your Hair?
- How Does Water Temperature Affect Your Hair?
- Tips for Healthy Hair
- Acidic Tyent Water and Hair
- Tyent Hydrogen Water and Hair
Water Temperature Affects Hair Care
What Does Water Do for Your Hair?
Having healthy, luxurious, and strong locks of hair has been a cherished desire of many people over the years. But, only a small percentage of people are born with naturally great hair, while others need to put in more time and effort to get a silky mane.
According to the Belgravia Centre, hair loss in women affects roughly 50% – while 40% of men have noticeable hair loss by age 35, 65% by age 60, and 80% by age 80.
To help prevent hair loss and other hair problems from happening in the first place – here are some tips you can implement today to start taking extra care of your locks:
- Wash your hair properly and thoroughly.
- Care for your scalp by washing your hair only a few times a week instead of every day.
- Use a conditioner to soothe and moisturize your hair.
Hair loss is a big deal and it should be controlled. In this article, you’ll find out more about the effects water temperature can have on your hair.
What Is the Ideal Water Temperature for Washing Your Hair?
Applying heat to your hair can cause it to become brittle and dry. Yet, when it comes to washing it, what effect does cold or hot water have on your mane?
Cleanliness is important for the health, shine, and growth of your hair – so it’s important that you consider the water you’re using when washing it.
Is tap water enough?
Water plays a key role in your washing and conditioning routine because washing your hair in it helps shampoo spread across and penetrate into the scalp, dissolving excessive oil and dirt, and rinsing away dead cells, dandruff, and shampoo.
It’s important to consider the temperature of water when taking care of your locks.
The water should be warm. If it is too hot, it can damage your skin and hair.
You need a temperature high enough to deep clean dirt and grime in your hair, but not so high that it causes irritation.
The perfect temperature to wash your hair in is around 100°F – which is just above normal body temperature.
How Does Water Temperature Affect Your Hair?
Some people think that washing your hair in hot water can be destructive to your hair – while washing your hair in cold water can help preserve the shine and strength of your hair.
Is this true? Let’s dive deeper and examine the effects hot and cold water has on your hair:
Washing your hair in hot water has its pros and cons. But, hot water doesn’t damage the internal protein structure of your hair.
- Hot water strips hair of dirt, grime, and build-up. Dirt penetrates into your hair, making it thin and brittle. Hot water dissolves this dirt, unclogs hair follicles, and helps the hair become cleaner.
- It encourages blood flow to follicles in the scalp. Therefore, different treatments for scalp and hair become more effective.
- Hot water allows for extra texture within your hair. If you wash your locks in hot water, then your hair will appear more voluminous and it won’t fall flat.
- Hot water strips your hair of natural oils. Your hair has natural oils, called sebum. If the water temperature is too high, it can damage your hair by stripping it of valuable oils that contribute to their dryness and brittleness.
- Water with a high temperature dries out your scalp. If your scalp becomes dry, it may cause dandruff and itchiness.
- Hot water weakens your hair roots. Hot water damages your roots and if they are weakened, then your hair becomes frizzy and starts to turn gray prematurely.
Is cold water good for your hair? It is believed by many that washing your hair in cold water is beneficial for your hair and scalp. But, this method also has some cons.
- Cold water preserves natural oils. Some people may think that washing their hair with cold water is the best option for strong, silky locks. Cold water preserves the hair’s natural oils, which keeps your hair manageable.
- It closes hair cuticles. If the hair cuticles are closed, the hair remains smooth, shiny, and frizz-free because it retains its moisture and hydration.
- Cold water makes your scalp remain cleaner. Cold water closes your pores, enabling your pores to become less vulnerable to dirt, oil, and grease. Therefore, your scalp remains cleaner for a longer period of time.
- Cold water can reduce the volume of hair. Since cold water closes the hairs’ cuticles, then the volume of hair can be reduced.
- Excess oil can’t be cleaned out effectively with cold water. Cold water doesn’t clean your hair and scalp as efficiently as hot water does.
- Cold water can be uncomfortable. Washing your hair in cold water can be unpleasant, especially in the winter months when temperatures start to drop.
RELATED: Three Ways To Greet Summer Beautifully With Alkaline Water!
Tips for Healthy Hair
Taking into account the temperature of the water you use, there are some merits to using cold and hot water.
If you want to maintain smooth, shiny, strong, and healthy hair, then incorporating these basic tips below into your daily hair care routine will help you!
- Determine the schedule of washing the hair based on the amount of oil your scalp secretes. If your scalp is oily, then you can wash your hair once a day. If your hair is dry, then wash it less frequently, 2-3 times a week.
- Wash your hair with warm water because warm water helps open hair cuticles and pores on the scalp. Therefore, you will get rid of any dirt or build-up more effectively.
- Rinse your hair with cold water for your final rinse to seal the hair’s moisture, clump the hair together, and protect your hair. Cold water closes the cuticles, which adds shine to your hair.
- Dial down the temperature of your shower to lukewarm water when you apply shampoo and to cool water when you apply conditioner.
- Don’t use hot water for cleansing and detangling your hair because hot water can damage your scalp.
- Use special water as a finishing rinse (such as acidic pH water from a water ionizer) to maintain the pH balance of your scalp. To obtain this special beauty water, you can use acidic level one from your Tyent unit (Acidic level 1 water has a pH of 5.5 – the same pH your scalp has.).
Acidic Tyent Water and Hair
If your pH is off, it can lead to reddening of the skin, dryness, itching, and impairment of the protective function of the skin.
Use acidic level 1 water from a Tyent water ionizer as a finishing rinse. Acidic water can smooth down your hair cuticles and give you amazingly shiny hair.
By washing your hair with Tyent water, bad hair days won’t be an issue anymore!
Tyent Hydrogen Water and Hair
It’s also important to choose the right water to drink when trying to boost and maintain the health of your hair. By drinking Tyent hydrogen-rich alkaline water (known as hydrogen water), you provide your body with complete hydration that will help improve the texture of both your hair and skin.
It’s the only alkaline water from an ionizer with Hydrogen Boost!
What is Hydrogen Boost? This is a Tyent water ionizer-exclusive technology that uses high amperage to deliver the best and highest number of antioxidants to drinking water.
To learn more about Tyent’s award-winning water ionizers, this FREE cheat sheet is the perfect place to start.
Tyent’s hydrogen water experts are also available at to discuss how hydrogen water is the best water to drink for your hair – so give them a call ASAP.
“Hair’s” to good health and hydration!
Do you consider water temperature when washing your hair? Share your methods of maintaining great hair in the comments section below!
- Why Is No-Poo A No-Go?
- What Exactly Is pH Level And Why Should I Care?
- Hydrate Yourself Happy With Alkaline Water!
This guest post on hair health is brought to you by Helen Rogers, an editor at The Hair Style Daily. Maintaining interpersonal relationships emphasized the importance of Helen’s writing. She believes that moral reasoning is the most significant factor in decision-making, and Helen focuses on the value of motivation and inspiration while acknowledging that different people have different views.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published on August 31, 2018, and has been updated for quality and relevancy.
45 thoughts on “How Does Water Temperature Affect Your Hair?”
Thank you for this awesome post on hair and alkaline water. I really love how this article was written.
Hi do you also have shower filters? I don’t have a source of acidic water here but I would like to keep my shower water clean as a first step.
Hi, Sebastian. We have a beautiful range of shower filters to fit your home’s needs and interior design. Let us know if you find one that suits you!
Ohhh how I wish I knew this before I went bald!
Hi, Giovanni. Bald or not, knowing what kind of water you should use for your scalp will be beneficial for you!
I’ve tried the temperature tips and found that they work better for my hair. Less hair has fallen out so far.
Hi, Nicholas. That’s great! We hope that our tips help your scalp and hair grow stronger.
If you’d like to improve your showering experience further, we recommend investing in any of our high-quality shower filters to ensure your bathroom water will be rid of chlorine and other contaminants.
I am lossing hair mustache. I thing it is affect by bacteria. But used medicine slight improvement and again losing hair. Please give solution.
Hi, Mohan. I’m sorry to hear about your condition. I would recommend contacting your general health practitioner for a full assessment. If they recommend alkaline or hydrogen water, please give one of our water ionizer experts a call at 855-893-6887.
Thanks for sharing the best information and suggestions, I love your content, they are very nice and very useful to us.
Hi, Manu. Thank you for the honest comment. We’re pleased to know that our articles help you stay in the loop.
easy to follow tips!
Hi, Miguel. Thanks for your thoughts.
Man, I thought I needed a special water filter to get rid of my hair problems. Turns out it’s just the temperature.
Hi, James. You can definitely improve your showering experience when you use a specialized filter to take out the chlorine from your shower water. Our shower filter will help make your water much cleaner and fresher. In addition, you can use acidic water produced by Tyent’s water ionizers, which is great for the skin and hair as well. Also, alkaline water can be used on the hair if it contains antioxidants like Tyent water does. It’s good to invigorate the scalp once a month.
looooovin the tips that you shared here!
Hi, Joan. Thanks for the comment. Hopefully these tips help you!
NEVER showering with super hot water ever again! My poor hair! 🙁
Hi, Leah. As the article says, extremely hot water will only hurt your hair and scalp. We hope that our information helps you.
Great advice for fellow grandpas who have gray, balding hair … I’m turning 70 soon ..
Hi, Antonio. It’s good to know our article is useful to you. Why not celebrate your birthday by giving alkaline water a taste?
I’ve been showering with the right water temp! Maybe ill give Tyents water a try someday.
Hi, Karen. We’re pleased to hear that you’re taking care of your hair. You can try our alkaline water by ordering a water ionizer today! Contact us at 855-893-6887 and our water ionizer experts will tell you all about our machines.
so thats why my hair loss has been bad lately. :\
Hi, Carol. We’re sorry to hear about that. A dermatologist could assist you better, especially if it’s a long-term problem. For showering, it’s best to use a water filter, not a water ionizer, with the correct temperature to fully rejuvenate your hair. Drinking alkaline water is a great idea, and using acidic water to add shine to your hair works because it helps close down the cuticle.
cool, thanks for sharing this compilation of info!
Hi, Matty. We’re glad we could help you!
Very interesting and informative article!
Hi, Edward. Thanks for the support!
Oh my gosh, this is why I ALWAYS make sure to use lukewarm water whenever I shower and go to the salon. Haven’t tried washing with alkaline water though. Sounds cool.
Hi, Sylvia. The type and temperature of the water you use to wash your hair truly has huge impacts on its health.
If you want to try washing your hair and nourishing your body with alkaline water, why not let our superior Tyent water ionizer machine help you out? Give us a call at 855-893-6887 and our water ionizer experts will gladly walk you through the process.
Ok so how does your company clean shower water?
Hi, Joey. Thanks for your question. Apart from water ionizers, Tyent also has specialized shower filters that aid in removing chlorine from your water, further purifying and cleansing it. If you have a water ionizer, you can also use Tyent’s antioxidant-rich acidic water on your scalp to help revitalize your skin and hair.
Hello, are your filters only for the water ionizer or do you also have some for showers?
Hi, Melanie. We have an amazing line of Shower Lux filters that remove chlorine from your bath water and let you get purified water while showering. The chlorine-free water will help you get softer skin and less irritated eyes, too!
If you have further questions about our filters and even water ionizers, please call us at 855-893-6887 so that our water ionizer experts could speak with you.
Does the kind of water you shower with make a difference with your hair and skin? I don’t meant hot and cold but normal shower water vs. something filtered. You cover it in the article but I wanted to know more.
Hi, Lauren. Bathing with a different kind of water does have a good effect on your hair and skin. As we discussed in this article, our “Beauty Water” is our nickname for the acidic level 1 water that has the same pH level as your skin, which is between 4.5 to 5.5. It helps keep your skin moisturized and refreshed, so we highly recommend using it as a finishing rinse when you shower. You can get our Beauty Water using any of our water ionizers.
Even if you don’t have a water ionizer, there’s still a great way for you to have cleaner, healthier water in your shower. Just check out our amazing line of Shower Lux filters that remove chlorine from your bath water and let you get purified water while showering. The chlorine-free water will help you get softer skin and less irritated eyes, too!
If you want to know more about this, you can call our water experts at 855-893-6887 so that they can happily accommodate you.
A very interesting article and surprised by many facts given here. Thank you for sharing such a detailed post on temperature and its effect on hairs.
Hi, Yocheved. We’re glad you found this article useful! It’s important to know the proper water temperature for showering so that you can take care of your hair and scalp.
Apart from using the right water temperature, it’s also important to shower with cleaner, healthier water. You can achieve this with our amazing line of Shower Lux filters that remove chlorine from your bath water and let you get purified water while showering. The chlorine-free water will help you get softer skin and less irritated eyes, too!
If you’re interested in knowing more about this, please give our water experts a call at 855-893-6887.
Hey. If I use a shower filter, will that turn my bath water alkaline or acidic?
Hi, Manuelito. Unlike our water ionizers, our shower filters don’t change the pH of your water.
What our shower filters do is to remove the chlorine and other dirt from your bathwater and give you more purified water. Using our shower filters helps you achieve softer skin and hair and avoid irritating your eyes. You can shop our amazing line of shower filters here.
We’ll be updating our filters in a few months, so be on the lookout for that! If you have other questions, please give our water experts a call at 855-893-6887.
My skin gets really dry and itchy after showering. I’m wondering if it has something to do with the products I use because I only use the same old soap, facial wash, and shower gel each time. Or maybe it’s my water.
Hi, Conan. If your skin’s dryness and itchiness are recurring or persistent issues, we recommend consulting a dermatologist or other health professional so you can get a clearer assessment of your situation.
However, it’s true that the chemical-filled bath products and water we bathe in have many negative impacts on our skin. That’s why we recommend our line of Shower Lux filters so you can get cleaner, contaminant-free bathwater today! Our filters remove chlorine and other sediments from your bathwater, letting you have softer skin and hair.
Please call our water experts at 855-893-6887 if you want to find out more.
In general, what is healthy for your hair is healthy for your skin also.
Keep it up!
Hi, Tabetha. Absolutely. Thanks so much for the comment.