Dr. Lori Shemek is back with another delicious, healthy recipe! Many people are choosing to reduce carbohydrates in their diet for health and weight reasons, yet still, that big elephant in the room remains… no more bread. This can be frustrating for many who adore bread. Have no fear, I have the delicious solution for you!
When we lower carbohydrates in our diet, we are doing an enormous benefit that we will experience not just in the present, but in the future as well. The average person ingests a whopping 300 grams of carbohydrates daily and it is leaving our global communities with a myriad of health conditions. In America, 78% of the population is either overweight or obese and the majority of citizens are insulin resistant. The result is a large metabolic load placed on the body, as the body has to process an excess of glucose (sugar). This leads to weight gain and obesity, inflammation, poor metabolic health and an increased risk of heart disease.
The good news is that by simply reducing carbohydrate intake, one can help to optimize health and weight, plus you CAN eat healthy and delicious foods such as this delicious low-car bread recipe!
Here is my recipe for amazing, delicious low-carb bread. You can use this bread for sandwiches, toast, croutons, French toast, burgers and much more! Enjoy!
1 ½ cups finely ground almond flour
6 large egg whites
2 large whole eggs
1/3 cup ground psyllium husk
½ cup coconut flour
½ cup ground flax seeds or flax meal
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
¾ cup buttermilk
½ cup apple cider vinegar
½ cup warm water
4 tablespoons melted butter
½ teaspoon of additional sea salt and dried rosemary (or any preferred herbs) sprinkled on top of loaves
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl (almond flour, psyllium husk, coconut flour, flax meal, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl add egg whites, whole eggs, buttermilk, apple cider vinegar, and water. Whisk until frothy on top.
- Slowly add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Divide and portion dough into small loaves. Evenly divide dough in bowl into four sections to make rolls all equal in size.
- Score the tops of each roll with a sharp knife. Bake for 35 minutes until the bottoms and edges of each roll are light golden brown.
- Remove from oven and brush tops of each roll with melted butter, then sprinkle with a sea salt and rosemary. Place back in the oven under broil for 2-3 minutes until tops are a deep golden brown and crisp. Enjoy!
Recommended Reading | Dr. Lori’s Vault
4 thoughts on “Low Carb Bread Recipe”
I don’t see the eggs included in the list of ingredients. How many eggs are needed
Hi, Mely. Thanks for your patience and for wanting to try this recipe! The recipe calls for 6 large egg whites and 2 large whole eggs. We’re sorry about this. We added it to the recipe already.
Help, it calls for egg whites in the directions and whole eggs, but it is NOT listed in the ingredients, SO, no idea how much, many to add. Can you please send the complete recipe. My mouth is watering.
Hi, Carmen. Thanks for your excitement and patience! The recipe calls for 6 large egg whites and 2 large whole eggs. We’re sorry about this. We added it to the recipe already.